If you have purchased an Amazon Echo Devices, you need to install the Alexa App in your phone to set it up. Unfortunately, the app is geo restricted and Malaysia is one of the country in the restricted list. However, there are two ways to get around this restriction.
- Download your favourite VPN app in your phone. If you have no idea which one to use, I suggest KeepSolid VPN Unlimited or TunnelBear VPN.
- Open the apps and sign up an account.
- Select the country where Alexa app is not restricted and then connect to it. For this case, please select USA.
- Before you go back to the Play Store to install the Alexa app, you need to clear app data and cache for Google Play Store. Go to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Store -> Storage -> Clear Data. Then, click on OK when it asks the data will be deleted permanently which includes settings, databases, etc. Don’t worry. All purchased apps and data will be safe.
- Now go to this link and you should be able to install it while stay connected to the VPN.
Using APK Downloader
If the VPN method doesn’t work, you may try installing the Alexa app using APK Downloader.
- Go to APK Downloader in your browser.
- Enter this URL into the Google Play URL field: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.dee.app&hl=en
- Click Generate Download Link.
- Wait for the APK file generation to complete and then click on the green button to download the APK file and save it to your phone.
- Now you can install the app using the APK file. Remember to allow installation of apps from unknown sources if your phone gives any warning.